Monday 29 April 2013

Welcome!

I'm Bernard Lewis, author of 'Swansea Pals', the Swansea Battalion in the Great War.

I'm currently researching on a broader theme - 'Swansea in the Great War' - following a writing commission from Pen and Sword Books. This book will be published in autumn 2014, the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of World War I.

If you have any information on Swansea in the Great War, whether by way of a family member who served in the armed forces, or someone who helped in some capacity on the Home Front I'd be pleased to hear from you.

I am interested in those with a strong Swansea link who served in the armed forces but also those who worked in munitions, or maybe women who took jobs that were previously typically taken by men. The experience of conscientious objectors is also of interest.

I particularly need photographs, letters, diaries or memoirs of those who played a part in Swansea in the Great War.

If you can help or would like to (eventually) buy a copy of the book, please get in touch!

Bernard Lewis
29 April 2013.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Lewis, I have your Swansea Pals book which has been hugely helpful re my great uncle, Daniel Kelly (17179, 14th Bn Welsh Regiment). Daniel was an Australian working in mines in Wales 1911, when he enlisted sailing for France Dec 1915 and killed 5th August 1917 - any help I can give for your new book ?
    Mrs Lesley Taylor, 24 Ocean Street, Thirroul NSW Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lesley and thanks for getting in touch. I'm glad you found the Swansea Pals book helpful. I'm well into the writing of 'Swansea in the Great War' which will focus mainly on the home front, I'm afraid. The story of Daniel might be of interest though, but I think it would depend on whether you have a photograph of him to help tell his story. Plus any papers, family recollections that have been handed down etc. As the story of the men at the front will not be the main part of the book I'm afraid it is stories with facts, letters or other documents and images that are required. The fact that he was an Australian serving with a Welsh unit is a good start. Let me know if you have any such info, please. Best wishes, Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have recently read your book Swansea Pals and found it very informative. I wondered, if during your research you had come across any Welsh Miners serving in the Great War who were employed in digging the tunnels. If so I would be grateful for any information you could provide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Glad you enjoyed the book, its 12 years old now. The expert on tunnelers, some of them Welsh, is Jeremy Banning. Contact him here: http://jeremybanning.co.uk/ For other visitors the best way to contact me is via my new blog here: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/ Good luck!

      Delete